Wednesday, February 6, 2008

ASH Wednesday

As this LENTEN season kicks off I can't help but reflect on where I am spiritually right now. The last several years has been a roller coaster spiritually, the CEC weekend and my conversion, my mom passing, various illnesses and deaths, temptations and general acceptance of my humanity. I can honestly say I am not where I wish I was at this point in time but I am in a much better place than I could have imagined even 10 years ago. I'll expand on those items in later posts.

The verse kicking off the Lenten section of http://www.eten.com/ reads as follows. "Rend your hearts, not your garments, and return to the Lord, your God. (Joel 2:13)".

That verse really hits home with me, "return to the LORD" is something I always think I am striving for but in retrospect sometimes it comes off as LIP SERVICE with good intentions. (You know what they say about that ROAD and good intentions....) I NEED to strive to have a better spiritual life and ALL else will fall in place behind that. Common sense tells me this but sometimes its easier to make excuses and blame it on distractions. DONT GET ME WRONG HERE, just because you go to church more than the next guy or read the bible more than the next guy DOESNT make you a better Christian, BUT it does give you the OPPORTUNITY to become more SPIRITUALLY FIT. It all boils down to your heart and your relationship with JESUS.

Lent is always a SOLUMN time and sometimes that gives me concern. You see, if it weren't for the LORD being crucified and rising from the dead for our SALVATION we'd be doomed. In a way shouldn't it be a celebration of THANKS? More on that down the line...

In the tradition of sacrafice I am giving up DRINKING for Lent, attending at least one extra mass during the week and will read the Gospels. (Going to be a bit more of a challenge compared to my usual sacrafice of giving up RAP music and spinich :-) )

I've rambled enought for now. May you Lenten season be all that you need it to be.


B

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep the Faith.

Hammerhead